I am not currently conversant enough with these evidences to be able to write proper blog posts on them myself. I decided to make a reference post on the evidence for Christianity so that I have all the major evidences collected and summarized, with links to articles by people who are actual experts. These summaries do not do the arguments justice. The links are the most important part of this post.
I may update this post as I find more things to include.
The origin of the universe
1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause.
- The Cosmological Argument (Reasonable Faith)
- The Bible Affirms the Standard Cosmological Model (Cold-Case Christianity)
- Why the Beginning of the Universe Cannot Be Explained from “Inside the Room” (Cold-Case Christianity)
- How the Origin of the Universe Points to the Existence of God (Video) (Cold-Case Christianity)
The fine-tuning of the universe
The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design. Given the implausibility of physical necessity or chance, the best explanation for why the universe is fine-tuned for life is that it was designed that way.
- Can Naturalism Account for the Appearance of Fine-Tuning in the Universe? (Cold-Case Christianity)
- Fine Tuning Argument (Reasonable Faith)
- Multiverse and the Design Argument (Reasonable Faith)
- Fine-tuning and Intelligent Life (Reasonable Faith)
The origin of life and appearance of design in biology
Naturalistic explanations can’t account for the origin of life or the appearance of design in biology.
- Can Naturalists Explain Where Life Originated? (Cold-Case Christianity)
- Does the Cumulative Case for Design Point to a Divine Designer? (Cold-Case Christianity)
The existence of consciousness and free will
“The brain is not the mind, and any ultimate explanation for the universe must account for this non-material, non-spatial reality.”
- Are Atheists Correct When They Claim Mental States Are Merely Brain States? (Cold-Case Christianity)
“A world in which people have the freedom to love and perform great acts of kindness is also a world in which people have the freedom to hate and commit great acts of evil.”
- Why Would a Good God Allow Moral Evil? (Cold-Case Christianity)
The presence of objective moral truths
God’s nature is the objective reference point for moral values.
1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist.
2. But objective moral values and duties do exist.
3. Therefore, God exists.
- The Moral Argument (Reasonable Faith)
- God Didn’t Create Moral Law, It’s Simply a Reflection of His Character (Cold-Case Christianity)
The presence of evil and injustice
Unless there is a transcendent standard of goodness, evil is just a matter of opinion.
“The chief purpose of life is not happiness, but the knowledge of God.” (RF)
“God is the final answer to the problem of evil, for He redeems us from evil and takes us into the everlasting joy of an incommensurable good, fellowship with Himself.” (RF)
- The Problem of Evil (Reasonable Faith)
- Evil as Evidence for God (Stand to Reason)
- Evil Is Evidence God Exists (Cold-Case Christianity)
- Our Limited Knowledge and the Need for A Standard (Cold-Case Christianity) (video) [This is the last in a series about the problem of evil, but it summarizes the previous videos.]
The evidence for Jesus
“The gospels are not only trustworthy documents in general, but as we look at some of the most important aspects of Jesus in the gospels, like his radical personal claims, his miracles, his trial and crucifixion, and his resurrection, their historical veracity shines through.” (RF)
From Cold-Case Christianity: “The evidence for the historicity of Jesus is significant and compelling. Jesus is not a re-creation of early mythologies. His existence was confirmed by non-Biblical ancient historical sources and was accurately preserved over the centuries. Even the non-canonical authors affirm the true existence of Jesus.”
The reliability of the Bible
The Bible has been faithfully transmitted, verified with archaeology, and confirmed by prophecy.
- How do we know what we have in our Bibles today is the same as the originals? (Truth, Faith, and Reason)
- The Case for the Reliability of the New Testament (Cold-Case Christianity)
- The Case for the Reliability of the Old Testament (Cold-Case Christianity)
The Gospels were written early, have been corroborated, and have been accurately delivered. The Gospel authors were unbiased.
- The Cumulative Case for the Reliability of the Gospels (Cold-Case Christianity)